17 January 2007

Snow Day

Growing up in Utah I never understood the concept of a "Snow Day". It snows a lot in Utah, big deal. Up here in the Pacific Northwest, a "Snow Day" is marked by mass confusion and hysteria when 3-5 inches of snow fall and major cities and town shut down completely. It is really amusing. I drove to work yesterday (20 miles) and it took 3 HOURS!!! School was cancelled for two days and there were dozens of sledding related injuries to kids that think that sledding down a street is safe when cars are sliding down the same hill backwards/sideways and doing 360's. It has been chaos. The roads around our house are still snowpacked so I guess I won't be riding my bike outside anytime soon. It's a good thing I have intervals I can do on the trainer tomorrow. At least I can look forward to watching a few more episodes of Lost-Season 2.

The great thing about working part-time in a research lab is that I can pretty much make my own hours. Today Lander and I headed to the mountain to ski rather than battle the mayhem of traffic around town. At least most people that go to the mountain know how to drive in the snow because they do it everytime they go skiing. It was a perfect day. There were a few new inches of snow and it was mostly sunny with no wind. Here are some pics and some more video of Lander skiing. He had a great instructor today, she had him up on the chair lift the whole 2 hours, he did AWESOME!!! Lander had one melt-down when he wanted to go into the terrain park. He flailed on the ground and managed to kick both his skis off. He will probably be rippin' the rails by the time he is 6.



Clouds and inversion layer


Lander and me

Me goofin' around on the ski lift

More video of Lander (some of these aren't that great because I was in the wrong place trying to move around on my skis and film at the same time without falling over. So when you see the camera moving around spastically, that is me trying to stay upright.):




Lander does the splits