17 July 2007

Six Day-Day Two

My legs are so sore today. It must be the combination of a weird bike I have never ridden and using my muscles differently.

I had this great idea for Andrea and I to wear matching hair ribbons when we raced so I ran to the craft store to buy a different kind for each day. Steven said it was "so high school volleyball" but Andrea and I both agree that it makes a huge difference in our racing.

When I got to the track I was told that I have the Alpenrose record for getting the fastest warning in a race for my infraction 1.5 laps into the Madison last night. What can I say, I am an over-achiever.

Tonight we did a points race and point a lap race. I have no clue what to do, I don't even know how I got 3rd in the point a lap race. I am still learning about how some finish orders are important and when you need to get points during the race. At this point I just go hard when I feel good, that is my strategy.

B's Points Race Pts Laps
1 Abers, Brian Team Rubicon 10
2 Murray, Mike Team Oregon 9
3 Charboneau, Emily 8
4 VanValkenburg, Heather Team Rubicon 7
5 Curl, Darien Team Rubicon 6
6 Hughes-Godfrey, Lynn Bike Central 5
7 Bihlmaier, Jeanie Specialized/River City Bicycles 4
8 Fisk, Andrea 3
9 Bjesse-Puffin, Amelia Bike Central 2
10 Mautner, Meg NoMad Sports Club 1 -1

Point a Lap
1 Abers, Brian Team Rubicon 10
2 Murray, Mike Team Oregon 9
3 Bihlmaier, Jeanie Specialized/River City Bicycles 8
4 Charboneau, Emily 7
5 Curl, Darien Team Rubicon 6
6 VanValkenburg, Heather Team Rubicon 5
7 Hughes-Godfrey, Lynn Bike Central 4
8 Bjesse-Puffin, Amelia Bike Central 3
9 Fisk, Andrea 2
10 Mautner, Meg NoMad Sports Club 1 -1

The Madison was better, we did some exchanges, missed some exchanges and I really started to get a feel for how you do this race. The biggest breakthrough for me was when I realized that I could sit on Heather's wheel until she exchanged with Emily and then jump on Emily's wheel and benefit from the acceleration. This lasted until we botched an exchange but were riding strong when our race was cut short due to rain. We are still in 4th overall and 2 laps down.

Madison
1 Abers, Brian Charboneau, Emily 14
2 Murray, Mike Curl, Darien 11
3 VanValkenburg, Heather Charboneau, Emily 6
4 Bihlmaier, Jeanie Fisk, Andrea 2
5 Mautner, Meg Hughes-Godfrey, Lynn -2