15 February 2008

Happy Single Awareness Day

When I was in high school and college I thought that Valentine's Day was the lamest holiday ever. I pretty much still feel the same way now. I did in fact call it Single Awareness Day, or S.A.D., I mean that is what it really is right? I will admit that it's really fun to buy stuff for Lander and make it fun for him and that is so much fun, but Bryan and I don't buy into the whole flowers, dinner, blah, blah, blah. Call me unromantic, whatever. Bryan asked me what I wanted for S.A.D., I told him I wanted to go to Utah. When we arrived in Utah on Thursday our friend Phil asked me if Bryan had a romantic date planned for us. I told him that if his idea of romance was going to Alta to shred the gnar, then yes, we did indeed have a romantic date planned. And that is exactly what we did. There had just been a recent dump of snow and while most of the good runs had been tracked out, we managed to find some awesome powder stashes, but we had to work really hard to get to them. They were totally worth it and hey, tele skiers are supposed to work for their turns. Bryan skied his 7th day on tele skis and was skiing way better than I did on my 7th day on tele, jerk :).

Here is Bryan coming down East Greeley Bowl



We started doing the traverse into Devil's Castle. It was an awesome area to ski, but it took about 20 minutes of traversing and climbing on your skis to get to the good snow. The most amusing part of the traverse was watching two out of shape college girls who had drunk too much beer at lunch hurling chunks on the side of the trail. They were way worse off than we were having just come from sea level.

On the traverse in Devil's Castle, the most awesome feature at Alta

We realized after several exhausting traverses from the west side into Devil's Castle that there was a traverse in from the east side that was a lot less tiring. And the snow? It was deep and barely tracked. This was where we spent the rest of the afternoon. This is me coming down the stash we found, so much fun.


I can't think of a better way to celebrate S.A.D.. Thanks honey for the good times, I love you!