16 February 2008

Yuppie Skiing

"I don't think we fit in here." That was exactly what I told Bryan as we rode the gondola at Deer Valley resort this morning. I have never skied at a resort that has a gondola. I have never skied at Deer Valley, mainly because the tickets are horrendously expensive and it's what I call a "destination resort". This translates to tons of people in $2000 ski suits that will only ski when it is sunny and the runs are groomed. I knew this since Deer Valley was rated the "#1 ski resort in North America" by various ski magazines and their criteria on what makes a resort "good" are the number of salons, clothing stores, restaurants and stores that sell $2000 ski suits a resort has and not important things like expert terrain and annual snowfall. After three hours of riding numerous lifts and gawking at multi-million dollar homes we finally found a pocket of good snow that of course, you had to work to get to. But, it was sooo worth it. Oh yeah, and the only other tele skiers we saw, were on ski patrol. Figures.

Riding the gondola, wow I feel like a rock star!
Dropping into Daley Bowl from the corniced ridge

Me coming down Daley Bowl