11 January 2008

Mmmmm, Creamy

That pretty much describes my day. I headed up to Meadow's to go skiing this morning and was greeted my sunshine in Hood River that created the most spectacular rainbow across the Columbia River (of course I forgot the camera so I have no pictures of this). There was no traffic on Hwy 35 up to the resort and the drive was great except for the minor fishtailing incident that almost made me spin out (mental note: don't be so stubborn next time and put it in 4WD before you need it!). It was snowing at the resort, what could be better. I did manage to slip on some ice and yard sale all my ski gear in the parking lot. I landed on my hip pretty hard and I am certain I will be able to feel it tomorrow. Yes, I can walk in ski boots and somehow miraculously one day a week I can garner all my coordination into making a FEW marginal tele turns. These kind of things just always happen to me, and of course it was right in front of a bunch of teenage boys. It was like a high school nightmare all over again.

I thought I would be skiing solo, but ran into my fellow PMR buddy Jason Mitchell in the lift line so I spent the morning chasing three very fast skiers! It was awesome and exhausting. I tend to ski better when I am forced to push my limits. I, of course, had a few good wrecks, but there were some runs where I actually didn't crash, or have to stop because my legs were tired. The snow was, well, creamy is a good way to describe it. It was good for carving and not terribly bumpy and super fun to ski in and there was some good powder in the bowls. I skied for a few hours and then headed home in time to get Lander off the school bus.

Tomorrow Bryan and I are taking Lander up for a ski lesson in the afternoon. He is really excited about it and has been asking me about it all afternoon. We even watched a Warren Miller movie together. That probably wasn't a good idea since Lander is already prone to being the extreme daredevil, he doesn't need anymore ideas. He threw a fit in one of his lessons last year because the instructor wouldn't let him go into the terrain park. I am excited that he is excited to ski and I love to see the smile on his face as he cruises down the hill. More than anything I am glad that skiing is an activity that our whole family can enjoy.