08 January 2008

The New Never Budge Hill

Some of my fondest memories as a child are of Never Budge Hill. The hill was on the back acre of my parents property and was aptly named after us, the Budge's. This was where I learned to ski and had many hours of snowplowing and sledding fun. My brothers would carry my skis up for me, help me get locked in and then give me a "gentle" shove to get going. When we wanted some more speed and a change of scenery, we headed to the icy driveway with our Flexible Flyer and had competitions to see who could make it all the way to the bottom, without going into traffic.

This morning we were greeted by 6" of new snow and a phone call at 8:00 a.m. indicating that school was canceled, SNOW DAY! Normally, I would have packed Lander and our ski stuff into my truck and headed to the resort, but I thought it would be fun to stay here and have some good old fashioned winter fun right outside our front door. Our driveway is pretty long and steep at the top so it is great for sledding, just like Budge Hill. In honor of my new last name, I promptly named our hill Budge-maier Hill, kind of fusion of the old and the new. The neighbor kids came over and we had a fantastic time racing each other down the driveway. We went off the road a lot, got flipped off our sleds and ended up with snow in our faces, jackets and boots. What an awesome way to spend a day off from school. Sadly, this is the northwest and now it is raining on our beautiful snow. I am sure it will be gone in a day or two. Bummer.

Yeah, it's windy here. It packed the snow up against our garage door.

Lander and Cameron getting ready for some fun

Budge-maier Hill. It's a lot steeper than it looks.

4 kids +2 sleds=Likely they won't all make it down
See the following video